We're incredibly excited to announce today the release of our new "Gallery Mode" for the GDELT DOC 2.0 API,which allows you to create "high design" magazine-style layouts of relevant coverage, creating a visually striking summary of global news coverage of your topic. Using the "Justified Gallery" jQuery plugin by Miro Mannino, the result is an elegant, fully responsive and mobile-friendly gallery of coverage that automatically adjusts to any browser resolution and even dynamically reorganizes the display as the browser window is resized.
Two modes are available, one for articles ("mode=artgallery") and one for images ("mode=imagegallery"). The article mode displays up to 50 matching articles, along with its title, source domain, publication date/time, language and source country. Only articles which include a social sharing image are included (note that sometimes this may be the outlet's logo, rather than an image relating to the topic). The image mode displays up to 50 matching images, along with the the title and publication date of the source article, the number of times Google Images has seen the image previously anywhere on the web and links to up to six of those previous instances.
Here are a few examples to get you started with the power of these new modes:
- Articles about climate change. The most relevant 50 articles about climate change from the last three months.
- Articles about Estonia. The most relevant 50 articles mentioning Estonia from the last three months.
- Articles about wildlife crime. The most relevant 100 articles mentioning the phrase "wildlife crime" or "poaching" or "illegal fishing" or "wildlife trade" in the last week.
- Imagery of pollution and litter. The most relevant 50 global news images identified by Google's Cloud Vision API as either containing imagery of "pollution OR smog OR litter" or mentioning one of those three topics in its caption on the page or elsewhere on the web.
- Imagery captioned as Estonia. The most relevant 50 global news images identified by Google's Cloud Vision API as being captioned as "Estonia" anywhere on the web in the last three months.
- Imagery of disasters. The most relevant 150 images published in the last 7 days that depict flooding, rubble, earthquake damage or fire.